My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Ireland #3 A walk around Adare

Adare is one of our favorite towns in Ireland.
There are beautiful thatched roof cottages and flowers galore.
Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures of the beautiful cottages
this trip.  While I was napping in the afternoon, Dave and some
of the others were walking around taking in the beauty of this little town.
After dinner, however, we did walk around a bit and I got some lovely
pictures to share with you.


This is the only thatched roof cottage that I got a picture of
in Adare this trip.


This is a shop along the main street in Adare. 
I can't imagine having fully dressed mannequins
outside the shops in our area.
So fun! 
I love the bright colors and the flowers on the pubs and other 
businesses that are so common in Ireland.
Roxie, Jane and me in the Adare Town Park.
Dave, Ed and Michael
Michael and Jane happy to be in Adare.
Having a little fun.
Dave and me.
Beautiful!  Everything is kept so nice and clean.
You seldom see litter anywhere.
There is a beautiful old church in Adare
and I was taken with the doors.
I love this red door!
This is the side of the church.

Jane was loving thinking about the history of this old church.
Being an ex-history teacher, Jane was amazed thinking of 
all that went on in this old place, the history of it, 
and who would have been in this place so many years ago.

Now let me tell you a little bit about 
Tidy Towns
Tidy Towns is an annual competition in Ireland.
First held in 1958, it is organized by the Irish Department of Environment,
Community and Local Government.
It was started to honor the tidiest and most attractive villages, towns and cities in Ireland
It started as an initiative to encourage communities 
to improve their environment and make their area a 
better place to live, work and visit.
It rapidly developed into the most well known competition in Ireland.
It is a true honor for a community to be named a "Tidy Town"
But it's more than just about being the prettiest village, town or city.
There are modules that must be completed such as a 5 year plan for 
Overall Development, Building the Environment, Landscaping, Litter Control 
and several other categories.
The whole community is involved when it in the running for Tidy Town.
What started in 1958 with 52 entrants is now a competition with 
the average of 700 entrants each year.
Adare has won the distinction of being a 
Tidy Town
and it is well deserved.
It's such a pretty little town and they are very proud of it.
Flowers of the day.
I love to take pictures of flowers 
and this trip was no different.
I am drawn to them and always want to capture their beauty.
I'm not good at growing them, 
but I sure love to look at them and photograph them.
I'll try to show some flowers each time I post.
Here are some of the flowers from Adare.
Hydrangeas were in full bloom in many areas of Ireland,
so you'll be seeing lots of them.
Adare had some gorgeous pink ones.


I don't have a clue what this little flower is, 
but I thought it was pretty.
Wish I would have spent a little more time taking more pictures
of it and the others around it.

Well, that's my post for today.
Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Can you imagine how great it would be if we here in the States tried to keep our cities "Tidy Town" worthy?

The bright building facades make everything look just so happy!!