My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Monochromatic Challenge

Today I have 2 cards to show you.
The challenge for this week on the 
"Monochromatic"
For my cards I used
"Sunflowers" (#35808) and
"Happy Birthday" (#36314) from 
sister company to Eureka! Stamps.
For both cards I used the same technique.
First I stamped the Sunflowers image onto water color paper
with VersaMark ink.
I then covered it with white embossing powder
and used my heat gun to melt the powder.
Using masking tape, I taped my paper down to a
cutting mat, this helps prevent warping from the water.
It also makes it easier to move the paper to different angles.
I wet the paper with a good amount of water
then used water color crayons and  a wet paint brush to 'drop' 
the color onto the card.
The embossed areas will resist the color.
I used the lightest of colors first and covered most of the image
with a light wash of color.
Then I went back with some darker colors to add more color
to the flowers.
I continued this until I was happy with the results.
For the sentiment on the purple card
I embossed the Happy Birthday with the same technique
on white card stock.
I used the water color crayons and a water brush once again to color the paper.
This was not water color paper and it takes the color much differently.
If the paper becomes too wet, it will begin to crumble, so you must be careful.
I just applied the color to the area around the sentiment, let it dry and cut it to size.

The sentiment for this 2nd card was stamped with 
a coordinating color of ink onto the same paper used for the card front.
Although I am usually more partial to purple than orange,
in this case I like the orange card better than the purple.
Which do you prefer?
I hope you have been inspired in some way, thanks for stopping by.
Please check out the particulars of our challenge on the 
and join in the fun.

Until next time, Happy Crafting!

7 comments:

karalschuknecht said...

Kristie, both cards are beautiful. Very nice.

Lisadwb said...

Lovely cards. Ever so slightly I prefer the orange card!

Tiggerscraps said...

Beautiful technique! gorgeous colors too

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! I love the techniques you can do with real rubber stamps and sometimes miss that when working with digitals. I love both of these, but I think I'd pick the orange/pink as my favorite. These would be great as part of a set for a gift...maybe I'll use your idea and do just that!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous cards, Kristie!! LOVE both of the monochromatic color palettes you chose!!

Julie Odil said...

Fantastic cards, Kristie! Love the embossing!

Bunny said...

Beautiful, Kristie. I'll have to go try it.