My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Friday, June 4, 2021

Dryer Balls

Hello blog friends!
Today I have something a little different to show you.
Dryer balls!
When I visited 
Scrap Creative Reuse
in Ann Arbor, Michigan,
I found strips of wool fabric and decide to
try my hand at making some dryer balls.
Wool dryer balls are simple to use,
you just throw them in your dryer with your
laundry.  They cut down on your drying time and
help with static.  Dryer sheets are not good
for your clothes, your dryer or you,
so you can eliminate them and fabric softener and
throw a few dryer balls in the dryer.
There is a lot of info online about the benefits
of using dryer balls rather than dryer sheets.
This is what I started with.  I got 3 bundles of these
kind of strips of wool fabric.
Most dryer balls are made with wool yarn or roving,
but I thought I'd give wool fabric a try.
I simply rolled up the strips of fabric and pulled them 
tight.  They needed to have a little stitching done on the
outside to hold them together, but they came together nicely.
I then tied them inside of socks and put them through a hot
wash and dry.  This "shrinks" the wool and compacts it.
Once they were removed from the socks,
they were ready to go into the dryer with my laundry.
Okay, so they aren't pretty, but who cares?
After all they are just dryer balls.
This is what I'm working on now.
I went to the thrift shop and found a couple
100% wool sweaters and I'm unraveling them and 
making them into dryer balls.
Here is the video that I found showing how
to do this.
I am thinking I will be making dryer balls for 
Christmas this year.  I think I'll be able to get 3
balls out of each sweater.

Thanks for stopping by today to see what I've been up to.
I hope you'll give wool dryer balls a try, whether it's 
home made ones or not.
Until next time,
try something new.



 

No comments: