My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Zucchini my new favorite way

Hello blog friends!
Today, I'm getting away from crafting a bit.
I'm going to tell you about one of my favorite vegetables.
Zucchini.
When I was a kid, my Dad used to plant some every year
and it was kind of a contest with himself to see how big 
he could grow it.
When it was nice a big, and I do mean big, a foot long at least,
he'd pick it and we'd have fried zucchini for dinner.
Dredge it in egg and flour and fry it up in a pan. 
That was the whole meal and I loved it.
Haven't had it that way for years, but it is one of my favorites.
This year while watching 
"The Next Food Network Star"
I saw one of the contestants (Eddie) make 
"zucchini spaghetti"
I tried it and it is now my favorite way to
prepare this wonderful squash.
Here's what I started with.
Now just ignore the sorry state of my pan!
I use just a small amount of butter, about a tablespoon.
Tonight I cut up some onion, nice and thin.
I started them cooking, while I went to the squash.
With a peeler, I started to peel.
And I just kept peeling until ti couldn't peel anymore.
This is what I ended up with. 
A huge pile of shredded zucchini.
I added it to the pan with the partially cooked onion.
Sometimes, I used yellow squash with it, or mushrooms,
whatever you like would work.
I added some salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Sometimes I use real garlic, but tonight I added powder.
While that was cooking up, I got out my trusty old 
cheese grater and grated a bit of Parmesan.
I love it and there was a LOT of squash, 
so I was sure to grate enough.
And yes, that is a slice to munch on at the side there.
Told you I love Parmesan.
Not sure if you can see the difference, but that 
squash does cook down a bit and it doesn't take very long.
5-10 minutes at the most and like I said, this was a lot of
squash.
When the squash is finished cooking I sprinkle on the cheese.
YUM!
It doesn't take long to melt, I just toss it into the 
zucchini mixture before I serve it.
And tonight, I had it with a nice steak and baked potato.
It was excellent.
There were 3 of us tonight and yes, we did eat it all.
It was so darn tasty!
I hope you'll try making some zucchini this way,
it's really easy and a little different than the usual,
at least it is for me.

Thanks for stopping by today,
come again soon.  
You never know what you might see
here on 
Kristie Kreates!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend just shared zucchini from her garden. How timely! Will be trying this too!
~ Julie S.

Susan (rainy) said...

Dang. My mouth is watering!! lol