My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Fall Garden

I can't believe I never posted about our garden this summer!
I just went to write up a post about the fall garden and found
that I never posted about the beginning of our garden.
I guess I posted about it on facebook and never did it here.
So here it is and when you get to the end of the post you'll 
see why I was posting about the garden in the fall.
The garden in the front of our house has been awful for 
quite some time and we finally decided that something
needed to be done with it.
Last summer Dave, shaped the garden, but we never got 
anything more done with it.
this year we were determined to get it finished.
He worked hard on breaking up the soil.
We went to the nursery and got some plants and he 
put them in.
And he did a great job!
Right behind him it looks like there is a little bush
or tree there.  What is actually in the picture are some 
branches that had been cut off a tree. 
I had put them there just to get an idea of what it would
look like with another plant there.
We weren't sure what to put there, 
then Dave came up with an idea.
Our daughter had moved from her apartment and
was getting rid of this bookshelf.  I decided that I wanted
to give it a make over of some kind and we had it stored in
the garage.  Dave thought it might be great for that spot in the
front garden.  So that's what we did.
We had some pieces of hand painted china that were
our Aunt Bea's and that's where we started, then I added a planter
that had been my Mom's, we went to Saver's and picked up a few
other pieces, including a clock that was so ugly that it 
was cute and we had to have it.
I took all the pieces and my hot glue gun and went to 
work.  I glued everything down to the shelves.
Then I staked it into the ground and we had a cute
addition to our garden.
Something a little different and fun.
I think it looks great.
Unfortunately the plants in the planter didn't do well,
so I took them out and put in some silk flowers,
they did much better.
We added this little watering can,
and this bunny that was Mom's.
Here are some of the carpet roses, they 
grew beautifully and as of this writing there were
still flowers on the bushes.
The hydrangeas were beautiful too.
Not the kind we are used to, but pretty none the less.
As it got later in the season, they changed color
to pink and then an even darker pink.
The portulaca grew beautifully and had 
gorgeous bright colored flowers.
I wish I had a picture when they were at their
peek, the plants were loaded with flowers of 
almost neon color.
Now it is fall and the border of portulaca are
done and it was time to do some fall decorating.
I took everything off the shelves, it was a little worse
for wear, but still sturdy.
The glue wasn't hard to get off at all, I'm sure, due
to the hot and cool weather, but everything was in 
good shape to keep for the spring or summer.
I had picked some things up in thrift stores and craft stores,
so I got to work arranging and gluing again.
Now we are set for the fall.  
I'm not sure if we'll keep the shelf out for the winter, 
or put it away in the garage until spring.
We do get some pretty awful weather in the
front of our house, so it might be best to take it in.

Thanks for stopping by today.
I hope you'll come again soon and see
what's happening on 
Kristie Kreates.



No comments: