My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Pinata

Hey everybody!
How are things going in your world?
I've been keeping busy with wedding things,
as well as a bunch of other activities.
One of the things I was busy for a while
with was a pinata.
Jaryd and Sara thought it would be fun
to have a pinata at their wedding and asked if I 
would make one for them.
Then Sara came to me and asked if I would
make it for Jaryd's stag party instead.
Of course I agreed.
I have only made one other pinata and that
was for Jaryd's 5th birthday, I made it so strong
that even the fathers couldn't break it open.
They wanted this one just as strong.
I started out by getting a 24" balloon and
blowing it up.
I then mixed flour and water together to make
a "paste"  I dipped torn news paper strips into
the paste and put them onto the balloon.
Jaryd helped me tie some twine around the whole
thing, so it would be able to hang.
I made sure to cover all parts of the balloon.
We hung it from a nail on our deck to dry, 
which worked, except it cracked and I needed to do
a bit of repair work.
I applied a couple more layers and added more twine.
I wanted to be sure this baby didn't just fall.
After a couple more layers applied and dried,
it was time to remove the balloon, 
so I pulled it out a bit and cut a hole into it.
Then I cut a hole in the pinata so I could take the
balloon out and put the
prizes inside.
Here's the poor balloon that was inside.
Here are the prizes that I loaded into the pinata.
When I went shopping for them, I just wandered around
a couple bargain stores and picked up some fun 
prizes.
I also included a few "special" prizes. 
These had this note on them.
These were also for special prizes.
Yep, that's a picture of me! LOL
That pinata was pretty full.
I put the cut out piece back onto the pinata and
covered it with another couple layers of paper
and paste.
Now it was time to paint it.
I took it outside and gave it a couple good coats
of spray paint.
We live in the Buffalo, NY area and we
are big Buffalo Bills fans, so they wanted the 
pinata to be made to look like
Tom Brady so they could
Bash Brady.
This is what it looked like with his picture on it.
It took a bit of figuring, but I finally
printed the picture in 4 parts, pieced them 
together into one big picture and used
Mod Podge to adhere it to the pinata.
I also printed and cut out a deflated football
and Mod Podged it to the other side.
They loved how the pinata turned out.
The plan was to charge a buck to bash Brady 
at the stag.  
This was prize #1 for whoever picked up those
Carefree panty liners.
This was prize #2
It's a bottle opener that has a magnetic
bottom to catch the bottle caps and a 
six pack of Labatts beer.
Prize #3 was a tee shirt, a Buffalo magnet, a Buffalo
coaster and hot sauces.
Everyone loved the pinata,
but it didn't raise as much money as we hoped.
Brian, the best man, had a wiffle bat to hit it with,
but had brought a real bat along too.
He knew how strong the one I made for Jaryd's
birthday was, because he was there and still remembers
it.  He figured if they couldn't break it with the wiffle bat,
they would break it with the real bat.
Unfortunately, the first one to hit the pinata, saw the real
bat, put down the wiffle bat and used the real
bat on it right away.  Needless to say, it didn't last long,
with a bunch of guys hitting it with a real bat.
But they did have fun with it and that's what 
counts.

Thanks for stopping by today,
Have you ever made a pinata?
It's easy and fun, give it a try.
Come again soon,
you never know what you'll find on
Kristie Kreates.



No comments: