My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Scotch Eggs

Hello blog friends!
Welcome back to my blog.
Today I'm going to show you something that
I made for our Labor Day picnic.
When we moved into this house, we had a 
big party and invited some of the neighbors.
The family that lived behind us at the time were 
very "into" their Scottish heritage and they brought
some Scotch eggs.  They went pretty quickly and I never
did get a chance to try one.
I've always wanted to try making them and finally
decide that I'd just do it.
So here we go.......
Here are the ingredients,
hard boiled eggs, flour, sausage, beaten eggs and bread crumbs.
They really are pretty simple to make.
First roll the hard boiled egg in flour, then cover it with
sausage.  I found it easiest to form a patty of sausage in the 
palm of my hand, place the egg in the center and work the sausage
up around the egg.
Dip it into the beaten egg then cover with bread crumbs.
Put them into a pan with hot oil and cook until the 
sausage is browned and cooked through.
Here is what it looks like once they are cooked and sliced open.
Here are my Scotch Eggs all ready for company.
Mine aren't as pretty as the ones our friends brought to the 
party all those years ago, but next time they'll look better.
After all, practice makes perfect.
As you can see, I did have a little trouble with a couple of them.
The sausage split open during the cooking process.
I'm not exactly sure why this happened, but I suspect that I didn't 
have to sausage pressed together well enough in a few spots.
My family really enjoyed having them and I found them 
quite tasty.
The one thing that I learned is that they are almost like a meal.
Unfortunately, you can't cut the eggs down in size before you 
cook them, they are quite large, between the whole egg and all the
sausage.  I felt that they were a bit much for appetizers, unless
people share them, which some of my family did.
But, all in all, I'd say they were a success.
I think they could also make a nice breakfast food.

Thanks for popping in today and spending some time
here.  I hope you've been inspired in some way
and maybe you'll give these a try.
Or maybe you'll try something else that
you've been wanting to try.
Until next time,
try something new and different!

No comments: