My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Monday, July 13, 2020

DIY Vellum


Hello blog friends!
A while back I saw 
from Nina Ribena, showing how to make
your own vellum using wax and an iron.
I used what was left of a burnt down 
taper and my little craft iron.
Below you'll see
the results of my experimenting.
I decided to try different kinds of paper,
some plain, some patterned.
Here is a patterned paper with some printing on it.
Below you can see that it is now somewhat translucent.

This pattern didn't become as translucent, but 
as you can see below, you can see the pattern on
the card underneath it.

This plain paper worked very nicely.

I think this one turned out pretty nice too.

I also tried with just a plain piece of 
white printer paper and this worked very well.
And my last one was done with a red candle.
One thing I noticed is, that the red candle was
actually red on the outside and white in the middle, 
consequently, I had to keep turning the candle to
get the red areas.  So be warned, if you are using a
colored candle, be sure it's colored all the way through.
The other thing that is different about this one is that I worked
on a paper towel, where the others were done on a 
sheet of deli paper.
If you do this on a paper towel, you get some 
of the pattern of the towel on the "vellum"
You can see, especially at the bottom of the sheet,
that it isn't a smooth, clear look, but has
a pattern to it.
I like how this turned out, but if you want a nice clean
finish, use something without a design on it.
Also be warned that the wax does seep through
the paper and get onto what you are working on,
so be careful.

Thanks for spending some time with me today,
I hope you have been inspired in some way and
will come again soon.
Until then;
Happy Crafting!






No comments: