My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Eco Prints

Hello crafty people!
I hope you've been finding some time to do 
some crafting.
With the leaves all out on the trees and the
flowers in the garden, I decided I wanted to 
do some Eco-printing.
I collected some leaves and flowers and got to work.
I used watercolor paper, sprayed it with a water and alum
mixture, then laid down the leaves and flowers, covered it with
another sheet of watercolor paper, also sprayed with the mixture.
I then sprayed it with water and vinegar.
I have a heat press, so I placed the sheets into the press with
a teflon sheet both under and over the "sandwich" 
and pressed it in the heat press.
For more information on this process
check out Em'splace
on YouTube, she has some very good videos that 
give information on eco-printing and different ways to
do it.
Below are the prints I got from this session,
some I love, some I'm not so crazy about.
It's all about testing different leaves and flowers.
This was done with leaves from a Japanese Red Maple
tree.  Unfortunately, I moved the paper so it got a double print
and looks blurred.
This is the other print from the 'sandwich' above.
These next 2 prints were done with Japanese Red Maple 
leaves, I believe a begonia flower and "whirlybirds" from 
our tree. You can see that the whirlybirds didn't do much for 
the print.  Maybe if they had been plucked from a tree and
still green rather than dried, they would have made a better 
print.

These 2 are the leaves again. 
The "tops" of the leaves leave a beautiful print where
the backs don't have a lot of color.
They will make a nice background for cards
either way.

These two prints were done with some 
begonia and geranium flowers and leaves.
I think I may play around some more with these
flowers and do some more printing.
When doing eco printing, once the flowers and leaves
are pressed you remove them from the paper.
Sometimes they are dried right into the paper,
as some of them are on these prints.
I could wet the entire sheets and soak them off,
but I decided to leave the pieces pressed into 
the paper in some areas.
All in all, I like the prints I ended up with, 
some more than others.  And I had a fun time 
experimenting with different things.
I plan to do more eco printing in the next few 
weeks and months, I just have to find some different
kinds of leaves and flowers to play with.

Thanks for stopping in today to see what I've 
been up to. I hope you might give eco printing a try.
You don't have to have a heat press, there are different ways
to do it, even using a household iron.
I encourage you to check out the link above and
maybe give it a try yourself.
Hope to see you again soon.
Until then:
Try something new and different!

No comments: