My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

2021 Christmas Ornaments

Hello blog fans!
I hope you are having a wonderful holiday season.
A few years ago I started a new tradition in our family.  
Whoever comes to Christmas dinner receives
a home made ornament from me.
My son and daughter in law have been hosting
Christmas dinner the last couple years, 
but I've continued the tradition.
This year, these are the ornaments I made.
They started out like this.
 Several years ago I was out shopping at one 
of the craft stores and found packages of
metal tags dirt cheap on clearance.  Of course I couldn't pass up
that deal, so I bought a couple packages.  Had no idea
what I might do with them, but knew I'd come up with something.
This year I came up with something.
I used alcohol inks to color the metal tags,
then used stamps and Alcohol Lift Ink to
lift the ink from the tag.
It's a very simple process that turns out looking great.
I did find that some colors lifted easier than others.
Surprisingly I found some of the lighter colors were
harder to lift than the darker ones.
It's all a matter of trial and error.
I also found that some stamps did not work as well as
others and it seems rubber stamps worked better than 
the clear acrylic/polymer stamps did.
The amount of ink used also made a difference.
If I did more than one coat to make the color 
appear darker, it was harder to get the ink to lift off.
But with persistence and repeated stamping, most of
them did work.
Although there were a few that just wouldn't lift.
I'm not sure why that was.
One of the great things about using the alcohol ink
on metal, is that if you don't like the color, the way it stamps
or if the ink won't lift, all you need to do is use some
 rubbing alcohol and remove the ink and start again.
I stamped the year on the back of each ornament.
This is one case where the polymer stamps worked
well.  It may be because it was such a solid 
image, but I can't say for sure.
I'm very happy with how this year's ornaments
turned out.

Thanks for stopping in for a visit, 
come again soon.
Until then,
have a happy and healthy 
new year.
Let's all make 2022 a 
wonderful and creative year!







    Note the links are only to give a reference so you can
see what the products are.
I didn't necessarily purchase from these sites,
except where specified,
and you may find better prices elsewhere,
I am in no way promoting any particular site.

         

No comments: