My Other Pages

To make it easier to read about our trip to Ireland, I have made a page that is just for that. There is a tab above for Ireland Trip 2014 or click on the Home tab to read my other posts. I have also created a new page for My Weight Loss Journey if you are interested in that, click on the tab above.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Smitten with my Smittens

Hello crafty people!
Do you like to recycle and upcycle old things?
I do!
Today I'm going to tell you about the "Smittens" I made.
I just called them mittens made from a sweater,
but my friend, Julie, tells me they are called smittens.
I love that name, so from here on out I'll be calling them that.
I went to the Goodwill Store and found a sweater.
The sweaters there are only $5.00 to start, then it was
50% off anything with a blue tag and low and behold,
didn't this one have a blue tag.
Actually, I was kind of keeping my eye open for the 
blue and found one I liked.
I was really drawn to the wide "band" at the bottom of the 
sweater. I hate when smittens are short and the cold and snow
can get to my wrists.
So I purchased this baby for only $2.50!
Great deal.
The first step was to trace my hand.
I just used a scrap piece of computer paper.
I then cut out my smitten pattern and pinned it to the 
sweater, making sure that the band would make a nice extra long cuff.
I also lined up the left side of the pattern with the seam,
this means less sewing on my part, as well as a nice strong seam.
I then cut around the pattern.
I wasn't sure about the sizing since this was my first try at this,
so I gave it a little extra room.
I then flipped the pattern and lined it up along the opposite seam.
Here they are all cut out and ready to sew.
I used some extra strong thread that is actually nylon upholstery thread.
I sewed around the smittens using a back stitch that 
would be nice and strong.
I tried them on a few times and made adjustments
on the thumb and the width near the end of the fingers.
But I finally got it right.
Once they were done I turned them right side out,
and I have to say, I love my new smittens!
Here they are and I think they turned out great!
Another great thing is that the sleeves on the sweater were wide enough 
that I can make another pair of smittens from that sweater
and I may be able to squeeze a third pair out of it too.

Here are a few things I learned through out this process.
1. Trace your hand and stick to that pattern, no extra is needed.
2. Be sure to cut in far enough on that thumb. My thumbs are pretty short,
but that thumb needs do be cut in far enough to be comfortable.
3. If the cuff is going to be long, cut it wider near the end of the cuff.
I can just fit the cuff around my arm if it isn't folded over, it would
be a bit more comfortable if it was a tad wider. Remember your forearm 
is larger than you wrist.
4. If the cuff is going to be turned over like in the picture, sew the seam
on the opposite side, so it doesn't show when folded over.
5. Next pair, I'll probably sew on the machine, it will just make things
easier and the seams stronger.
6. I'm thinking of finding some scraps of fleece and lining
my smittens to give them extra warmth.

Thanks for stopping by today,
I hope you enjoyed my post and my smittens.
Let me know if you give them a try,
it's a great way to upcycle an old sweater.
I hope you'll come again soon,
because you never know what you'll find on 
Kristie Kreates.

No comments: